Monday, June 12, 2006

Walt Whitman and the Universe


Walt Whitman spent many long lonesome hours walking the shores of Long Island, contemplating universal truths.
Before my current incarnation as suburban wife and mother, I was a solitary wanderer; walking alone through God's own masterpiece, the Colorado Plateau.

Along with the usual survival stuff, I carried a few other essentials in my backpack: Journal, peace pipe, and Walt Whitman.
One autum day, staring into the waves off Paumanok, he thought:

"Aware now that amid all that blab. . . I have not once had the least idea who or what I am/
I perceive I have not really understood any thing, not a single object, and that no man ever can."

I can really relate with W.W. today. Contemplating all of creation can make the poet/philosopher feel very small and powerless. Then just as you get some perspective back, start thinking that maybe you arn't so helpless, a big wave comes ashore and knocks you senseless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home