Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Mountain Woman Meets a Muslim

I'm excited to tell you about my first-ever conversation with a real-live Muslim man from a Muslim country.
Sorry to say, I'm a hick and the social circles in which I move in don't usually include Muslims.
I already know the basics of Mr. M's religion because my own husband is from a foreign country that is home to a large Muslim population and I read alot and listen to NPR; however I was eager to get the political perspective about the Current Situation from The Real Deal.
Mr. M said a few things that were genuinely suprising. First of all, I asked him if his home country, Pakistan, knew where Osama bin Laden is hiding, and if so do they have the power to give him up?
Mr. M replied that the United States doesn't really want OBL, that OBL is just a puppet.
A puppet of whom?
The Saudis, all the terrorists who drove planes on 9/11 were Saudis, and who did the U.S. invade after 9/11? Afganistan and Iraq.
Well, weren't Taliban supporting the 9/11 terrorists?
No, they were just giving them space to train and leaving them alone.
So the US should have invaded Saudi Arabia?
Yes, but they couldn't because the Bush family and the bin Laden family are business partners. Bush knew about 9/11 ahead of time, Bush killed his fellow Americans that day so he could justify invading Iraq. . .
at this point Mrs. M was thrusting her review of 'Fahrenheit 9/11' in my face and I put up the "Too Crazy" Defense and changed the subject.
Still, the idea of OBL as a puppet has never been presented to me before, and it really blew my mind.
The second most interesting thing I learned is that Mr. M is being watched by the FBI.
Mr. M is married to a Christian, American citizen.
One day he and his wife visited the airport in the small town where Mrs. M grew up. A few days later an FBI agent came to their home while Mr. M was out and questioned Mrs. M; going so far as to ask her if she thought she may have married a terrorist.
I was truly shocked and now I am convinced that BushCo. is taking their anti-terrorist measures too far.
I'm also glad that John Roberts had to sit out the recent Supreme Court ruling about Bush's pushing the limits of presidential power. If Roberts' had voted, naturally he would have voted in favor of Bush, and we could kiss privacy as we know it good-bye.
Mr. M and I talked about a few more issues, but these two points stuck out in my mind as the highlights.
Mrs. M insisted that I borrow her copy of 'Fahrenheit 9/11.' I'm not sure I really want to watch it because the only other person who recommended it to me dosn't exactly keep up with the issues.
What do you think? Is it worth watching, or is it just crazy?

3 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Blogger city dweller said...

i have to ask if that "person" who doesn't exactly keep up with issues is me!!
anyway, this was an interesting post. I think you would find that movie very, very interesting. why not watch it?

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Wild Mtn Honey said...

no, it's not you, I don't think we ever talked about it.

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew a lot of conservataives who were SO up in arms about "Farenheit 9/11" when it came out. I was talking to one of my brothers about this almost-violent reaction to the movie, and he said, "If they're so upset about it, all they have to do is not watch it, then their problem is over." I thought that was brilliant--it made me realize that people's emotional responses to "Farenheit 9/11" might be stronger than the content of the movie itself. When I did eventually go to see the movie in the theater, I agreed with a lot of what Moore was saying, but not necessarily convinced of anything new. I think there is this myth surrounding this movie that when people watch it, they will somehow be bullied into accepting every word of it as TRUTH. I admire Michael Moore's work quite a bit, but don't find him compelling enough to adandon my own judgement if he says something that I don't agree with. I was already familiar with the connection between the Bush family and the Bin Laden family, and familiar with Dubya's history of being bailed out financially by Bush Sr's friends (which I had read about in Newsweek, not exactly a mouthpiece for the Radical Left). I think Leah, and her readership, has enough intelligence to be able to watch this movie without having their powers of discernment suspended. And if you genuinely don't want to see the movie, there are lots of resources online for researching this material. We should never accept just one person's viewpoint as THE TRUTH, which is something I've even heard Michael Moore say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home