Thursday, August 03, 2006

Stay Back Starbucks

Starbucks sales at coffee shops open at least 13 months rose 4% in July.
Analysts forcasts ranged from a rise between 6-7%.
The headline gasped "Starbucks sales sluggish, comsumers buying gas instead," or at least it should have.
Starbucks stock dipped as a result of the above sales information. The Corporation for Overpriced, Super-Sweet Coffee Drinks speculated that frou-frou drinks like the Banana Creme Frappucino and the Green Tea Bluberry Frappucino (which tates NOTHING like green tea) were taking too much time to prepare thus causing long lines thus driving customers away.

I used to be a serious Starbucks person. At the Starbucks conveniently located in my local Safeway, buying drinks with my Safeway Club Card assures that every 8th drink was free. Loading up on caffine, sugar, fat, and calories plus a getting closer to my 'free one' was an almost daily ritual.

My personal favorite: Grande Iced Mocha. No Whip.

I don't frequent Starbucks much anymore. It wasn't the outrageous price or the insane number of fat grams nor long lines that drove me away. I found a substitute: dark roast mate. Mate a tea from South America thats tastes god-awful in it's original form.
Some North Americans guys and their marketing company made it taste good and one box of 20 tea bags costs five dollars, four if it's on sale.
With some milk and honey, mate is about the best tea I've ever had, and it dosn't leave you with the rot-gut the way coffee does.
Not that I've sworn off Starbucks forever; it's still the occasional treat.
I'm hoping I never see the Mate Frappucino at Starbucks, I'm sure it will taste delicious.

1 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger city dweller said...

yah,i've also been cutting back on starbucks. and you're right about that rot gut feeling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home