Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Movie Made Me Do It.

I majored in Advertising and Public Relations.
No, Really.
My passion is jounalism but I took so many interesting advertising courses that it was just as easy to declare an advertising emphasis. Besides that, I wasn't very good at punctuation.
Whatever, the point is I love ads and I really love bad ads because it makes me feel smart to point out the flaws.
The worst TV commercial I've seen lately is for Hollywood Video.
Apparently they are trying to combat movies-by-mail and on-demand cable. They are doing it quite badly.
Their current ads feature normal-to-beautiful looking people choosing incredibly lame movies then regreting their choice.
It's an attempt at parody but it dosn't work because it dosn't ring true.
Even worse than the unrealistic premise of the ad is the message that customers have bad taste. Left to our own devices we slovenly movie lovers will watch something that sucks. We need Hollywood Video to save us from ourselves.

Attention Hollywood Video's ad agency:
Don't insult your money, er customers. Duh.
And spare us from your horrible satire; we grew up on The Simpsons and we watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. We know satire and if you can't do it well don't do it at all.

1 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger city dweller said...

well said. I wish I'd seen the commercial.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home