Saturday, April 21, 2007

Another Culture Appeals to me

I just read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. Besides making me cry, I fantasized about being a petite, lovely Asian lady with sworn sisters but without the bound feet.

Now I'm going through a phase of loving all things Asian. We already have two Buddahs - a brass one and a wax one. I needed some plastic plates because my kids have broken most of my porcelin plates, so at Goodwill I picked out some shallow bowls with Asian characters on them.

My Japaneese roomate, Mimi, once cautioned me against buying anthing with Chinese characters on it because you just don't know what those characters really mean.

Being a loud, pushy American down to my very soul, I sought out an Asian lady who was also shopping at Goodwill to ask her if she recognized the characters.

She handed the plate to her husband, he deliberated for a few minutes and it turns out the characters were: Four, Seasons, Peace, Prosperity.

Works for me.

I hope they weren't offended.

This fascination with Oriental art and culture will die down, but it just goes to show you what a powerful book can do. It can not only transport you to a different place and time, but it can change you a little bit, too.

Since I love the cartoon Xiaolin Showdown, here's Omi:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home